Physician Assistants (PAs) are licensed clinicians who practice medicine in every speciality and setting. They are medical professionals who diagnose illness, develop and manage treatment plans, prescribe medications, and often serve as a patient’s principal healthcare provider. Our curriculum is modelled on the medical school curriculum that involves both didactic and clinical education training. We train students who are always prepared and dedicated to expanding access to care and transforming health and wellness through patient-centred, team-based medical practice. Generally, Physician Assistants can take medical histories, conduct physical exams, diagnose and treat illness, order and interpret tests, develop treatment plans, prescribe medication, counsel on preventive care, perform procedures, assist with surgery, engage in clinical rounds in hospitals and nursing homes and do clinical research.
Aims of the BSc Physician Assistant programme
The objectives of the programme are to train Physician Assistants who can:
- Be clinically competent primary care physician assistants who practice evidence-based medicine.
- Reflect the highest standards of compassionate, legal, ethical, and moral conduct.
- Be team-oriented, culturally sensitive providers who are dedicated to their communities.
- Encourage improvement in the quality, accessibility, and cost-effectiveness of patient care in their community and country in general.
- Be critical thinkers and effective communicators with both patients and health care professionals.
- Identify the lack of medical care in rural and under-served regions and consider practising their discipline or providing service in such locations.
- Have an appreciation of the greater field of knowledge beyond their discipline and recognize the importance of lifelong learning in maintaining a level of excellence in their practice.
- Augment the human resource needs in public and private health institutions
Career Opportunities After completing a BSc Physician Assistant course
Graduates from Klintaps College of Health and Allied Sciences can undertake or can be employed in any of the following fields.
- Academic Institutions – Universities, Technical Universities, Nursing Training Colleges
- Ghana Health Service – Hospitals, Polyclinics
- Private Health Institutions
- Health Institutions
Fee Structure for the BSc. Physician Assistant-Medical programme
Fee Structure For Ghanaian Students (all fees are quoted per annum)
|Regular||8000 GH¢||8000 GH¢|
|Weekend||10000 GH¢||10000 GH¢|
Fee Structure For Foreign Students (all fees are quoted per annum)
|Regular||1500 US$||1500 US$|
Take advantage of our instalment payment plans which are detailed here
The Physician Assistant profession is one of the fastest growing in the country as there is inadequate medical doctors to manage various healthcare facilities both in the urban and rural areas. The demand for Physician Assistants in Ghana, Africa and the world will continue to increase by more than 37 per cent from 2020 to 2030 according to the healthcare search firm Merritt Hawkins. The demand for Physician Assistants is so high that three-quarters of PAs receive multiple job offers upon graduation.
WE ARE CURRENTLY NOT ACCEPTING NEW ADMISSIONS INTO OUR PA MEDICAL PROGRAMME.